What’s the best way to prepare children for a move?
While there are probably as many answers to this question as there are children, here are some helpful tips:
- Talk freely to your children about what the move will mean.
- Keep to your normal routine as much as possible.
- Keep familiar items (toys, books, blankets, teddy bears, etc.) out in the open and readily available (and don’t pack the blanket).
- If possible, take your children to your new community before the move to acquaint them with their new surroundings.
- Above all, listen to what your children have to say, and keep the lines of communication open and honest.
In order to keep your costs down; the average trailer holds from 18,000 to 24,000 pounds; the equivalent of three to four household shipments.
Plants, perhaps. Pets, no. Federal regulations allow a mover to transport plants if the trip is fewer than 150 miles and under 24 hours. However, some states may want to quarantine them anyway. In the event that this should happen, your mover won’t be able to ensure their proper care. Federal regulations prohibit moving companies from shipping animals in moving vans. If your pets and plants can’t travel with you, ask your Herren Group Moving & Storage agent to help you make arrangements to safely transport them to your new home. Ideally, pets and plants travel best in your own car.
Perishable food items cannot be safely shipped in moving vans. Please dispose of or give away perishable foods before the move.
When packing a personal computer, these steps will help you prepare it for safe transport. To pack your computer, we strongly recommend that you use the computer’s original carton and packing materials. If they’re not available, use a box that is both strong and big enough to hold the computer, and pack it with unprinted newspaper. For more advice, your local computer dealer can answer other questions. Other things to consider:
- Back up your software and data files. These should be taken with you or sent to your destination via insured mail.
- Park the hard drive (if applicable). See your computer’s instruction manual for special steps to take. With newer computers, simply turning the power off initiates this safety feature.
- Insert cardboard or old disk(s) into disk drive(s).
- Unhook all cables and power cords, indicating their positions for ease in set-up. Pack cords separately with manuals and software.
- Create a base layer of wadded unprinted newsprint and place computer on top of layer. Then surround sides and top with more wadded unprinted newsprint until firmly packed, and seal carton with packing tape.
- Remove all ink cartridges from the printer.
It’s against the law for The Herren Group Moving & Storage or Atlas Van Lines to transport flammable and combustible materials. Safely drain or dispose of all combustible and corrosive materials, including: household paints, bleaches, propane tanks, gas cans, and fuel in power equipment.
Accessorial services are any services provided to you in addition to the line haul transportation. Your agent can fully explain the total range of services available, including: crating, packing, unpacking, appliance services, elevator, stair and long carries, or shuttle service if access to your residence is limited and a second, smaller truck is necessary.
For your protection, when your household goods are delivered to your new home, your van operator will ask you to check off items as they are removed from the van and sign the inventory of household goods. If any items or cartons are missing or damaged, you must note this on the inventory sheet at the time of delivery. This is known as an “inventory exception.”
You can pack your own items and save money, if you wish. However, Atlas nor any Atlas Agent(s) cannot be responsible for items you pack yourself. If you decide to pack your own belongings, ask your agent for our “Guide to Better Packing”, or visit our Packing Tips. Your agent can also supply you with all the items you’ll need to do your own packing. But, for just pennies per pound, you can have Atlas’ trained packing crew pack your belongings.
As soon as you realize there may be a problem with your moving arrangements, you need to contact The Herren Group Relocation Counselor at 765-423-5696, or e-mail email@example.com and we respond as soon as possible to your needs
Please contact The Herren Group Moving and Storage counselor at 765-423-5696.